It seems like only yesterday that the United States' privacy and data security legal regimes were a relatively light lift compared to those of the European Union and other parts of the world. Now, privacy and data security professionals are laboring under a bevy of new laws and regulations that signal an increased government interest in regulating businesses' collection, use and disclosure of individuals' personal information.
In 2023, we will see at least five new, comprehensive state privacy laws go into effect, arduous new breach notification requirements for certain types of businesses, and maybe even federal comprehensive privacy legislation. Similarly, in California, employers will face a slew of new obligations to employees that previously were reserved for consumers.
On top of all this, international disputes have set off an increase in cybercrime and, consequently, data breaches. Unlike countries with a comprehensive federal law, the United States still has a patchwork of privacy and security laws, making for a dizzying set of obligations for those trying to stay compliant.
This CLE focuses on navigating through the patchwork and getting ready for 2023.
- Updates to Federal Agency Breach Notification Standards
- Lessons Learned From Law Firm Data Breaches
- Increased Cyber Risks During World Conflict
- Cybersecurity Framework for Lawyers
- Development of Corporate Data Protection Program
- What? Employees Have Privacy Rights Too?
Thursday, October 6, 2022
8:25 AM–4:40 PM
Click here to view the full program agenda.
IN-PERSON LIVE LOCATION
North Carolina Bar Center, 8000 Weston Parkway, Cary
Contact hotels directly for reservations at the special NCBA room rate. Rates are based on availability and rooms may sell out.
Embassy Suites, 201 Harrison Oaks Boulevard, Cary
Nightly Rate: $174 single/double
Reservations: Click here or call 919.677.1840 (Corporate Account Code: 2691626)
TownePlace Suites by Marriott, 120 Sage Commons Way, Cary
Nightly Rate: $114 studio queen with sleeper sofa (Sunday–Thursday)
Reservations: 919.678.0005 (Ask for the NCBA corporate rate)
- Robert M. Botkin, Parker Poe Adams & Bernstein LLP, Raleigh
- Katrina Church, Bioventus LLC, Durham
- Matthew A. Cordell, VF Corporation, Greensboro
- Seth Cutler, Raleigh
- Angela P. Doughty, Ward and Smith PA, New Bern
- Sarah F. Hutchins, Parker Poe Adams & Bernstein LLP, Charlotte
- Elizabeth H. Johnson, Wyrick Robbins Yates & Ponton LLP, Raleigh
- Karin M. McGinnis, Moore & Van Allen PLLC, Charlotte
- Sarah H. Negus, Moore & Van Allen PLLC, Charlotte
- Richard Peters, Berkeley Research Group (BRG), Houston, TX
- Steven W. "Will" Quick, Brooks Pierce McLendon Humphrey & Leonard LLP, Raleigh
- Steven T. Snyder, Charlotte
- Amy R. Worley, Berkeley Research Group (BRG), Raleigh
- Uta M. Zacharias, Lawyers Mutual Liability Insurance Company of NC, Cary
NCBA Privacy & Data Security Section
- Tiffany M. Burba, Parker Poe Adams & Bernstein LLP, Raleigh (Planner)
- Angela P. Doughty, Ward and Smith PA, New Bern (Planner)
- Molly F. Martinson, Wyrick Robbins Yates & Ponton LLP, Raleigh (Planner)
- Peter N. McClelland, CyberArk Software Inc., Burlington (Planner)
- Karin M. McGinnis, Moore & Van Allen PLLC, Charlotte (Planner)
- Matthew Meinel, Berkeley Research Group (BRG), Raleigh (Planner)
North Carolina: 6.00 MCLE Hours
Individuals experiencing COVID-19 symptoms, or within a COVID-19 quarantine/isolation period (as defined by the CDC at the time of the event) should not attend NCBA/NCBF events in person. Should a registrant for an in-person CLE event begin to experience COVID-19 symptoms or fall within a COVID-19 quarantine/isolation period, they will be provided with a digital registration upon request.
Masks remain optional at NCBA/NCBF in-person events, and we encourage all attendees to use good health and safety practices. The NCBA/NCBF does not provide notification of potential exposure following in-person events.
See pricing below. Discounts may be available for NCBA members who are students, law professors, judges or legal services/public interest attorneys. Call CLE at 919.677.0561 for details.