Thank you for joining us today.
The real estate industry is fiercely competitive as developers and contractors, investors and lenders, brokers and others – often with the aid of legal counsel – seek advantage. This can easily present real estate lawyers with ethical dilemmas.
Conflicts of interest are rife. There are issues of communicating and negotiating with unrepresented parties. There are also issues of taking an equity stake in a real estate venture in lieu of fees. Sometimes, too, there is the discovery that a client is engaged in wrongdoing.
These and many other ethical issues arise in real estate practice.
This program provides a real-world guide to common ethics issues in real estate practice.
- Joint representations of a business entity and its owners in a real estate transaction
- Representation of a client with adverse interests in unrelated transactions
- Exchange of legal services for transaction equity
- Communications with unrepresented parties – and with represented parties
- Inadvertent disclosure of confidential Transaction terms
- Special issues when client wrongdoing is discovered