This session explores:
• The court's 5 options in an ambiguous contract case
• 50 cases surveyed from 2021 state and federal court decisions, the survey says:
◦ The 3 most commonly litigated types of provisions in 2021
◦ The 3 drafting errors mostly likely to cause litigation
• 3 keys to eliminating contextual ambiguity
10:10 Examples of Embarrassing Errors Good Lawyers Made With Definitions That Caused Litigation in 2021 Cases
Learn the basic rules for drafting definitions, when to use integrated verses autonomous definitions, when autonomous definitions are best and how definitions improve the text.
11:20 Examples of the 5 Most Common Phrasing Patterns That Cause Litigation
Avoid phrasing pattern pitfalls. This session highlights:
• What does this word modify?
• What does this phrase modify?
• What is the foregoing?
• Which provision controls?
What types of contractual provisions get litigated most frequently? Which drafting errors appear most often in ambiguous contract cases? Our speaker conducted a methodical survey of 50 state and federal ambiguous contract cases decided in 2021 to determine the answers to these questions (and others).
If you did not attend this program in its entirety, please fill out a
partial credit form to ensure that we report your credit accurately.
Please send your completed form to
firstname.lastname@example.org within seven days of this program.
As an attendee at this CLE program, your feedback is important.