Most successful businesses are owned by one or more families. Because they are family owned, these companies create many special planning challenges.
Ownership and control do not shift among non-owner managers. Rather, succession in ownership and management is a momentous and often highly emotional process for members of the family. Frequently, these transitions are caused by the retirement or death of members of a family member. And these transitions, if not carefully planned and delicately handled, can be ruinous, damaging the family and their company.
This program provides a practical framework of trust and estate planning and succession planning for family businesses.
Part 1 topics include:
- Succession planning in family businesses
- Counseling clients on how to avoid family drama on succession
- Valuation issues for financial and tax purposes
- Buy-sell planning with family members or key employees
- Selling to third parties where intra-family succession is not possible
- Planning for the incapacity of the founding generation
Tuesday, February 22, 2022
- Daniel L. Daniels, Wiggin and Dana LLP, Greenwich, CT
February 22, 2022
North Carolina: 1.00 MCLE Hour
See pricing below.