The past two years have been unique to all of us, both personally and professionally. Although the general consensus is that most legal matters should be resolved using a dispute resolution method rather than litigation, those methods are even more important now given the pandemic-induced backlogs our court system is facing.
This program is designed to allow you to choose your playing field. What platform do you want to use to hone your skills? What tools do you want to have in your toolbox? What unconventional methods can you use to negotiate and still comply with our statutes and NC Dispute Resolution Commission (DRC) regulations?
Featured speaker Ken Feinberg — one of the nation's leading experts in mediation and alternative dispute resolution — explores some unconventional responses to unique catastrophes, offering real-world examples of compensation programs that tailored the law to meet the challenges.
- Dispute Resolution Commission Rules and Opinions
- Going From Good to Great: The Golden Rules of Negotiation
- Unconventional Responses to Unique Catastrophes: Tailoring the Law to Meet the Challenges
- Go Ask Tara: The DRC's Responses to Unique Mediation Cases
- The Collaborative Playing Field
Friday, March 18, 2022
8:25 AM–3:45 PM
Click here to view the full program agenda.
IN-PERSON LIVE LOCATION
North Carolina Bar Center, 8000 Weston Parkway, Cary
Contact hotels directly for reservations at the special NCBA room rate. Rates are based on availability and rooms may sell out.
Embassy Suites, 201 Harrison Oaks Boulevard, Cary
Nightly Rate: $174 single/double
Reservations: Click here or call 919.677.1840 (Corporate Account Code: 2691626)
TownePlace Suites by Marriott, 120 Sage Commons Way, Cary
Nightly Rate: $114 studio queen with sleeper sofa (Sunday–Thursday)
Reservations: 919.678.0005 (Ask for the NCBA corporate rate)
- Colleen Byers, Colleen Byers Mediation LLC, Winston-Salem
- Deborah L. "Deb" Dilman, Southpark Family Law, Charlotte
- Steve Dunn, Miles Mediation and Arbitration, Charlotte
- Kenneth R. "Ken" Feinberg, The Law Offices of Kenneth R. Feinberg, Washington, D.C.
- Joseph Edward Kennedy, UNC School of Law, Chapel Hill
- Tara Lynn Kozlowski, North Carolina Dispute Resolution Commission, Raleigh
- Irene P. King, King Collaborative Family Law, Charlotte
- John Ong, John Ong Mediation & Collaborative Law, Charlotte
NCBA Dispute Resolution Section
- Colleen Byers, Colleen Byers Mediation LLC, Winston-Salem (Planner)
- Deborah L. "Deb" Dilman, Southpark Family Law, Charlotte (Planner)
- Steve Dunn, Miles Mediation and Arbitration, Charlotte (Planner)
- John Ong, John Ong Mediation & Collaborative Law, Charlotte (Planner)
North Carolina: 5.50 MCLE Hours
See pricing below. Discounts may be available for NCBA members who are students, law professors, judges or legal services/public interest attorneys. Call CLE at 919.677.0561 for details.