Franchises often seem to clients like vehicles to assured success, but they are risky ventures.
The task for lawyers advising clients about franchises is to counsel them about setting reasonable expectations and help them understand the practical obligation of franchise agreements. This is no easy task because these agreements are a complex arrangement of restrictions, fees, operational requirements, intellectual property protections and reporting periods. But understanding how these agreements work – and the range of what's negotiable and what's not – is essential to client success.
This program provides a real world guide to the framework of franchise law, practical due diligence of franchise opportunities, and reviewing and negotiating the most important provisions of franchise agreements.
Part 1 topics include:
- Setting and counseling clients about realistic franchise expectations
- Practical guide to reading/understanding a Franchise Disclosure Document (FDD)
- Phases of franchise review – due diligence, negotiation of agreement, and lease work
- Spotting red flags early in the process
- Framework of franchise law and relationship of federal/FTC regulations to state regulation
Monday, August 9, 2021
- H. Michael Drumm, Drumm Law LLC, Denver, CO
March 16, 2021
North Carolina: 1.00 MCLE Hour
See pricing below.