The year 2020 has seen government, public sector and administrative lawyers at the epicenter of adapting and improvising to re-establish stability in unstable times. Attorneys' knowledge, experience, creativity, and flexibility have been tested in response to the pandemic, protests and other crises.
Join those who have been in the midst of these changes as we discuss the constitutional, statutory and regulatory law on protests, public meetings, curfews, police responses, privacy rights in a pandemic, the exercise of executive authority for public health, declared states of emergency, limits to access and "freedom," and constraints on the public and public employees and officials created by this new normal known as virtual or remote meetings.
This CLE is Current Events 101! Or, evolving law.
To find out what we have learned since mid-March 2020 and where the law is likely to be headed, join us for this exciting day-long CLE.
- People, Police and Protests
- People, Pandemics and Privacy
- Pandemics, Panic and Public Health
- Public Participation in the People's Business
- People, Places and Public Access
- Police, Public Records, Privacy and the People's Right to Know
Friday, November 20, 2020
8:55 AM–4:10 PM
Click here to preview the full program agenda.
- Tawanda Foster Artis, North Carolina General Assembly, Raleigh
- Anna Baird Choi, Nichols Choi & Lee PLLC, Raleigh
- Jeffrey P. Gray, Bailey & Dixon LLP, Raleigh
- Norma R. Houston, UNC School of Government, Chapel Hill
- Jonathan D. Jones, Elon University, Durham
- Jill D. Moore, UNC School of Government, Chapel Hill
- Mark H. Newbold, City of Charlotte Mecklenberg Police Department, Charlotte
- William M. Polk, North Carolina Department of Public Safety, Durham
- James D. "Jim" Secor III, Guilford County Attorney's Office, Greensboro
- S. Mujeeb Shah-Khan, City of Monroe, Monroe
NCBA Administrative Law and Government & Public Sector Sections
- Judge Tenisha S. Jacobs, North Carolina Office of Administrative Hearings, Raleigh (Planner)
- Jeffrey P. Gray, Bailey & Dixon LLP, Raleigh (Planner)
- William Bain Jones Jr., Attorney at Law, Raleigh (Planner)
- J. Mark Payne, Guilford County Attorney, Greensboro (Planner)
- Ann B. Wall, North Carolina Department of the Secretary of State, Raleigh (Planner)
North Carolina: 6.00 MCLE Hours
See pricing below. Discounts may be available for NCBA members who are students, law professors, judges or legal services/public interest attorneys. Call CLE at 919.677.0561 for details.